Ableton Live 12

Found a nice of keyboard shortcuts for Ableton Live.

So glad I upgraded to Ableton Live 12, the free Max for Live plugin Chord Pallete looks so good!

Chord Pallete: A Handy Tool for Building Chords in Ableton Live

Chord Pallete is a free Max for Live device that simplifies and streamlines the process of creating chords within Ableton Live’s piano roll. As a MIDI transformation device, it lives right inside the piano roll, offering an intuitive workflow for producers and musicians.

Here’s what Chord Pallete brings to the table:

• Effortless Chord Building: Select a group of notes in the piano roll, and with a click on a desired chord from the device’s library, Chord Pallet transforms those notes into the chosen chord voicing. This saves you time and effort compared to manually placing each note for the chord.

• Extensive Chord Library: The device boasts a comprehensive collection of chords, allowing you to explore various voicings and experiment with different harmonic progressions.

• Custom Chord Creation: Don’t limit yourself to the presets! Chord Pallet empowers you to design your own custom chord voicings, giving you the flexibility to craft unique sounds and explore new harmonic possibilities.

• Inversion Magic: Want to change the voicing of a chord? Chord Pallet’s inversion feature lets you easily adjust the order of notes within the chord, offering a range of voicings for the same chord type.

• Strumming Options: Spice up your chords with strumming patterns! Chord Pallet provides built-in strum options, adding rhythmic life to your chord progressions.

Useful video about playing chords on an Ableton Push using the in key and chromatic modes and demonstrating a variety of chord shapes. I must admit, not being a stellar keyboard player myself, I do find Push very handy for coming up with musical ideas I would struggle to perform on a regular keyboard. Also because the pads have essentially no travel, unlike a regular keyboard, I find it much easier to play in fast staccato type baselines and leads as I seem to be able to play more accurately in time with the music.

I do love this new version Ableton 12, the midi functionality is so much better than previous versions it’s now such a joy to work on getting a nice human sounding but still in time performance.