Ableton Live 12

Some new features of Ableton Live 12:

• Mixer in Arrangement Integrating the Mixer into the Arrangement View eliminates the need to switch between views, streamlining mixing and arranging processes. This feature is particularly beneficial for producers who prefer to work entirely within the Arrangement View.

• Browser Tagging and Filtered Searches Organize and locate sounds effortlessly with the new Browser Tagging feature. Assign custom tags to devices, effects, samples, and presets for quick retrieval using powerful filtered searches.

• Sound SImilarity Search intuitively discover similar sounds using the power of a neural network to automatically classify sounds.

• MIDI Generators Expand your sonic palette with MIDI Generators, a collection of tools for generating melodies, chords, and rhythms. Experiment with various algorithms and parameters to create unique musical patterns.

• Roar Immerse your sounds in rich warmth or unleash wild distortion with Roar, a versatile coloring and saturation device. Its three saturation stages, built-in compressor, and feedback routing provide extensive sound shaping capabilities.

• Granulator III Delve into the realm of granular synthesis with Granulator III, a powerful and versatile granular synthesizer. Explore granular textures, evolve soundscapes, and create otherworldly sonic experiences.

• Meld Embrace the expressive potential of MPE with Meld, a versatile synthesizer designed for playfulness and character. Manipulate individual notes within chords, create dynamic sonic textures, and explore the expressive possibilities of MPE.

What are peoples views on Ableton Live 12? I currently have Ableton Live 11 Suite and have been debating whether to upgrade to 12 or not while it’s at a discounted rate. I quite like the way the new midi features where you can see the changes in real time without having to apply first, but I don’t know whether it’s worth the money to upgrade.

I have Ableton Push 2, so will probably end up paying for Live 12 while it’s still on offer. Although I do wish they would do something about the interface. I know the argument could be made that it is kind of plain looking so you can just get on with making music. But I really find the interface uninspiring, surely they could make things look better.

I am still waiting to for my beta invite email, has anyone else received theirs? How long did it take from requesting to join the beta program and getting the invite?

It won’t be long now until Ableton Live 12 is released. For me the feature I am most looking to is the much improved midi functionality, particularly the ability to adjust quantisation in realtime so you can see and hear the difference incrementally until you reach that sweet spot where it sounds in time but still has groove.

Ableton Live 12 introduces MIDI Transformations, a new toolset that allows you to add intricate variations and articulations to your existing MIDI patterns. Imagine infusing your melodies with subtle human-like nuances, transforming rhythmic sequences into dynamic grooves, or breathing new life into repetitive chords.

Live 12 doesn’t just help you manipulate existing MIDI data; it can also spark your creative flame with its brand new MIDI Generators. These tools act as musical muses, spitting out melodies, chords, and rhythms based on your chosen parameters.

I just found a really great video on how to input chords quickly in Ableton Live piano roll, hold down the chord and then press the right arrow button on your computer keyboard to input the notes. To make the notes longer press the right arrow button again.

Some keyboard shortcuts.

command + alt + m hide/display mixer
command + alt + r hide/display return
command + alt + s hide/display send
command + alt + b hide/display navigator
command + alt + o hide/display general view
command + alt + i hide/display input/output
command + alt + l hide/display detail

In arrangement view:
Hold command + alt then type m r b o i l

In session view:
Hold command + alt then type m r s b o i l

command + e remove stop button from session cell
command + d duplicate clip

Resize All Tracks:
Hold alt while dragging track divider to reseize all tracks.

Utility Plugin Mid/Side Mode:
On the utility plugin, right click on the ‘Width’ setting to reveal a context menu allowing switch to the ‘Mid/Side Mode’.

Grabber Hand:
Hold control + option for grabber hand.

Momentary draw:
Press and hold b to temporarily change the draw mode until you let go.

After 3 months using Ableton Live 12 beta this video reveals whether it is worth upgrading or not? What do you think?

Pretty cool video demonstrating the awesome workflow in Ableton Live 12. I really like the audio rack using a gain utility to turn on and off the effect dynamically where required. I am really liking the dark theme of Ableton Live 12, hopefully it will get out of beta soon and be released.

I see anyone who has Live 9, Live 10, or Live 11 Standard or Suite can now access the Live 12 Beta by clicking on the link below, at long last I can try it out!

https://ableton.centercode.com/key/l12prpbapplic

Thanks a lot, i’m downloading it now.

Good video on the basics of sound design using Wavetable in Ableton Live.

Some FREE MaxForLive plugins to replace expensive paid plugins such as Soothe!

GMaudio HiFreqLimiter by Fixation Studios (MaxForLive alternative to Soothe)

For music producers, mastering harshness in the high frequencies can be a constant battle. The GMAudio HiFreqLimiter by Fixation Studios aims to simplify this process, offering a user-friendly and transparent solution.

Developed by Robert Koster, founder of Fixation Studios, the HiFreqLimiter is a Max for Live device designed specifically for Ableton Live users. It tackles a common issue: sibilance, the excessive presence of high-frequency sounds like cymbals or vocals, which can create an unpleasant listening experience.

Features at a Glance:

• Effortless Control: The HiFreqLimiter boasts a single-parameter interface, making it easy for users of all experience levels to achieve the desired results.

• Preserves Clarity: This plugin is designed to tame harshness without sacrificing the punch and clarity of the audio.

• Versatile Application: The HiFreqLimiter finds its place in various production stages, from music creation and live performances to mastering and post-production.

• Technical Specs: The plugin utilizes a custom external for state-of-the-art processing, minimizing distortion. Additionally, it features a 6 dB/octave crossover at 6 kHz, a 10 dB soft knee with a 10:1 ratio, and intuitive peak metering.

Benefits and User Experience:

The HiFreqLimiter’s core strength lies in its simplicity. With just one knob to adjust, users can quickly dial in the desired amount of high-frequency control without getting bogged down in complex parameters. The visual feedback provided by the metering allows for precise adjustments, ensuring the processed audio remains transparent and natural-sounding.

Clip-a-me a MaxForLive plugin alternative to Yum Audio CrispyClip

Clip-a-me 1.0 is a free tool for Max for Live users that adds soft clipping to your audio. Soft clipping is a type of distortion that gently rounds off the peaks of your audio signal, as opposed to hard clipping which abruptly cuts them off. This can add warmth, grit, and character to your sound, making it a popular technique among musicians and producers.

Features of Clip-a-me 1.0:

• Free to use: Clip-a-me 1.0 is available as a free download from the Max for Live website.

• Multiple clipping functions: Choose from a variety of clipping functions to find the sound that best suits your needs.

• Threshold control: Adjust the threshold level to determine how much of your signal gets clipped.

• Visual feedback: See your audio signal in the scope and monitor the clipping threshold in real-time.

Getting Started with Clip-a-me 1.0:

1. Download and install Clip-a-me 1.0 from Max for Live.
  2. Drag the Clip-a-me device onto an audio track in your Ableton Live project.
  3. Select the desired clipping function from the menu.
  4. Adjust the “THS” (threshold) dial to control the amount of clipping.
  5. Experiment with different settings to find the sound you like.

Clip-a-me 1.0 is a versatile tool that can be used to add subtle warmth or heavy distortion to your audio. With its easy-to-use interface and free price tag, it’s a great option for anyone looking to add some grit to their sound.

Lode: A Free, Powerful Bass Synth for Ableton Live MaxForLive

Lode is a free, monophonic bass synthesizer designed for Ableton Live and Push. Inspired by classic “vintage pieces” known for their unique character, Lode delivers a powerful, rich sound in a user-friendly package.

Designed for Simplicity, Built for Depth

Lode’s interface is refreshingly uncluttered, focusing on eight core parameters accessible directly on Push or within Live. This simplicity allows for quick sound creation while offering hidden depths. Subtlety and nuance are key to Lode’s character, rewarding exploration and experimentation.

Vintage Inspiration, Modern Features

At its heart, Lode features a single analog-inspired oscillator with saw and pulse + PWM waves. This is paired with a resonant 24dB lowpass filter, a filter sweep envelope, and an exponential decay envelope. These elements combine to create the classic, warm tones reminiscent of legendary synths.

Push Integration and Standalone Use

Lode seamlessly integrates with Ableton Push, allowing intuitive control and performance directly on the hardware. Additionally, Lode functions in standalone mode, making it a valuable tool for musicians on the go or those seeking a dedicated bass synth experience.

Open Source and Free

Lode is not only free to use, but also open-source. This means the code behind the plugin is accessible for anyone to learn from or even modify. This openness fosters a sense of community and allows developers to contribute to the instrument’s ongoing development.

Avalaudio’s WaveFuse: A Unique Distortion Device for Max for Live

WaveFuse, by audio software developer Avalaudio, is a free Max for Live device designed to add a distinctive distortion effect to your sound. Unlike traditional distortion plugins that rely on generic algorithms, WaveFuse utilizes a custom transfer function, allowing for a visually interactive and unique sound shaping experience.

Shaping Your Sound with a Sine Wave

WaveFuse’s interface features a prominent sine wave that directly controls the distortion character. By clicking and dragging on the wave, users can manipulate the way the signal clips, resulting in a constantly evolving and personalized distortion effect. This visual representation grants a level of control and precision often absent in conventional distortion plugins.

The Fold: Preserving the Core While Adding Bite

One of WaveFuse’s noteworthy characteristics is its “folding” behavior. When the audio signal reaches the upper or lower limits of the user-defined wave shape, it folds back onto itself, creating a unique sonic signature. This folding process, however, is designed to preserve a significant portion of the fundamental frequency, ensuring the core character of the sound remains intact while adding a layer of distortion and grit.

Who is WaveFuse For?

WaveFuse’s intuitive interface and unique sound sculpting capabilities make it a valuable tool for a variety of music producers and sound designers. Whether you’re looking to add subtle warmth to your tracks, experiment with creative distortion effects, or explore the boundaries of sound design, WaveFuse offers a versatile and inspiring solution.