Roland System-8

The Roland System-8 is a versatile synthesizer known for its powerful sound engine and flexibility. Here are some of its key features:

• ACB Technology: It utilizes Roland’s Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology, which aims to recreate the sounds and behavior of classic Roland analog synths.

• Plug-Out Technology: One of its standout features is the Plug-Out capability, allowing you to load additional synths such as the Jupiter-8 and Juno-106 directly into the System-8 hardware.

• Three Oscillators: It offers three oscillators per voice, each with various waveforms and options for shaping the sound.

• Cross Modulation and FM: Cross Modulation and Frequency Modulation capabilities enable complex and evolving sounds by modulating one oscillator with another.

• Filter Section: It has a powerful filter section with various filter types (like low-pass, high-pass, etc.) and extensive controls for resonance and envelope shaping.

• LFOs and Envelopes: Multiple LFOs (Low-Frequency Oscillators) and Envelopes for modulating various parameters in real-time, enabling dynamic sound design.

• Extensive Effects: It includes high-quality built-in effects like reverb, delay, distortion, and more to further shape and enhance your sounds.

• Polyphony and Voice Modes: The System-8 offers 8-note polyphony and various voice modes for monophonic, polyphonic, and unison playing styles.

• Integrated Sequencer and Arpeggiator: It features a sequencer and an arpeggiator for creating and playing sequences and patterns.

• Assignable Knobs and Controls: The synth has a well-designed interface with assignable knobs and sliders for hands-on control and real-time tweaking of parameters.

• USB Audio/MIDI Interface: It can function as an audio and MIDI interface over USB, allowing seamless integration with DAWs and other studio setups.

• Performance Features: Performance-oriented features such as a comprehensive keyboard layout, pitch/mod wheels, and performance pads for expressive playing.

The System-8 offers a wide range of sound possibilities, from classic analog tones to more modern and experimental sounds, making it a popular choice among musicians and sound designers.

There were a couple of these advertised nearby a few months ago and I was so tempted to buy one as it was a really good price. Bit gutted now I didn’t really as I think it would have been a great studio tool to have around for inspiration. I have Ableton Push and Komplete Kontrol, but those 8 encoders still require a lot of menu diving.